From the moment the box arrived, you knew you were about to receive an impressive piece of kit. The set-up of the screen was simple and pain free.
Having first turned on the ultra-wide screen on, I was instantly struck by the sleek curved design which sunk perfectly into the shape of my desk, creating an impressive and immersive user experience. One concern I had was that the screen would be ‘OTT’ and that it’d take a fair bit of getting used to, however, this proved not be a problem…
One of the biggest selling features for me is the ability to input through Thunderbolt. This gives you the versatility to switch between applications and portability to transfer hardware (i.e. my MacBook) from place to place.
Moving onto the screen quality, I can’t say I experienced issues that other Insiders have with regards to fading etc. Rather, I found the QLED quality to be up to scratch with colours holding depth and crisp, clear clarity. As you can see from my pictures, it had no issues oozing the details displayed in the 4K illustrative video.
In terms of split screening, I think this will be a point of curiosity for those who are thinking of purchasing this kind of screen for the first time. However, the ultra-wide screen and immersive curved experience really eased and simplified how I work with different tabs and made me fall in love in having one single display!
Lastly, the speakers are not something I use frequently. However, these were of a good standard, but I do concur that they lack bass. However, I think for a user who requires a lot from speakers that they would buy standalone speakers over inbuilt in any case.
Overall, I think it’s an excellent piece of kit which really up’s the game in the tech world. However, I would suggest a few ‘light’ improvements to make the experience even greater:
- The ability to move the bezel would be very useful, particularly if you are showing the display to an audience or clients.
- For a monitor of this spec and detail, I would expect a non-plastic bezel for not only effect but also rigour.
- Quality of speakers are good, but can be made great! Think of going into a restaurant, having a great main course but the dessert letting you down slightly. That’s what happened here.
- There is a slight bend on HDMI wiring –more give would be helpful in preserving the life span of the lead.
- The power supply is quite hefty which might not be ideal if you have a small / limited working area